How to care for your fine leather products...
With a little care a well made leather product is something that can be handed down thru generations.
These instructions are for smooth leathers only. If the leather is fuzzy (suede, nubuck) do not use this process.
- Start by cleaning off any surface dirt or dust with a soft, lightly damp cloth. Let dry thoroughly.
- Apply a leather conditioner. Product 127 Leather Balm is available below. Apply the leather conditioner with a soft cloth (and old t-shirt works very well for this) paying extra attention to stitching, corners and bends. All leather conditioning products will darken the leather to one degree or another. This is natural. The color will lighten up again over time.
- Allow a few minutes for the leather conditioner to soak in.
- Buff off the excess with a clean, dry soft cloth.
Tips for keeping your leather goods in tip top shape.
- While water will not technically harm the leather try to avoid soaking the item, especially light or jewel toned leathers as the water can darken it and might not do so evenly.
- If your leather item does get significantly wet simply let it dry completely and follow the above instructions. I might take a few applications of a leather conditioner as well as some use to for the leather to become pliable once more.
- For dirt or stains embedded in the leather, not just on the surface, please contact me or a local leatherworking professional for advice and/or instructions. Deep cleaning leather is a much more challenging process.